Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cleaning dirty shell with beauty inside

Yoo. How are you today? I am at Arafura Pearl Farm at Beagle Bay, two hours north of Broome. Resources are mighty limited here, so here are some bare minimum details, if you're interested in pearl farming. Or some stuff that I've been up to. Or big, gigantic poisonous snakes.

I get up at 5:30 and watch the sunrise from the boat out to the pearl lines, and begin chipping the gnarly barnacles and purple amoeba formations and thick soups of oceanic wildlife cemented onto the shells. We work all day on the boat, and come back into land at 3pm. Then we kick it, hard. Suuuper tired, go to sleep at like 9.

First night I was here, I was going to brush my teeth and this massive King Brown was hanging off the roof and appeared hissing in front of my face. Yes, I nearly soiled myself, chilled in my room for a while (a long while, taking deep breaths), then went to brush with dinner plate eyes darting all over. Woo-whawasthat

We almost caught a 1 meter and a half long hammerhead shark on a line baited with a huge Travelli head that homie Jem caught.

Johnno, the Vietnamese-Australian, was on the banks of a creek digging for delicious fat mudcrabs when we saw a huge scaly tail in the mangroves to the right of our tinny boat. Big croc jumped down the bank into the water. We jetted. Daaaamn we jetted.

The cook Sarah cooks awesome food; we had pasta-stew (that's beef stew on top of those little tubes I don't know what they're called pasta) for lunch that we warmed on the diesel engine. Now it's almost time for tea (they call dinner tea; word!) I hope you are doing well, keep eating food, it keeps you alive. Mmmm, fooood.

2 comments:

Rorsch said...

You are so cool! I miss foolsball in Aki's Garage.

Unknown said...

i miss foosball too. aki... i love reading your adventures. please keep them coming! and dont' get eaten by a snake. wanderers are doing well brother... you'd be proud! holla!